Friday, November 12, 2010

Prioritizing Laws

I had a 'run-in' with someone holding a different political sway at work and it got me thinking a bit. Is it all about what law you hold above other laws? For instance, the 'run-in' at work was about Ken Buck and how he believes all abortions should be illegal, no ifs and or buts. This opposing side didn't seem that bothered by that and went on a rant about murder. I thought about how it could be a mere matter of holding physical life laws above freedom of will or choice. I don't see that being 'resolved' anytime soon, but it just got me thinking a little. Religious people that believe in an afterlife will consider certain principles to be higher than others. What is ironic is that because of my religious beliefs, I argue for freedom of choice above physical life, something that the religious right seems to argue the opposite of.
Anyway, God's laws and man's laws are obviously tiered. It is interesting when we have to tier them in a moments notice and decide which ones to break and which ones to keep. For the most part I think most humans tier the laws similarly. Stephen King movies do well to show this moral conflict and how people work through it. There is something deeper here to discuss, I am working midshifts currently so it isn't happening at this particular time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment