Saturday, November 20, 2010

Chasing yellow and other biking related thoughts

Today was the third mid-November day in a row that maintained good weather for biking. As a Saturday, many cyclists hit Academy for a ride. about a quarter mile ahead of me after every corner was a yellow jersey that I just couldn't catch. Now, the cyclists one can't catch are usually far beyond a quarter mile ahead so you more often than not don't see them. You usually only see the ones you eventually overtake. So chasing someone that you can't catch is somewhat of a rare occasion, no matter your level of fitness on a bike. It is a helpful experience though as it reminds you that you aren't as fast as you sometimes think you might be.

So I was talking to an employee at my lbs and they quietly told me of a cheap method of co2 cartridges. You go to walmart and buy them. They are the same size and capacity. Our walmart carries this brand you see here, but they are drastically cheaper. I have yet to try them, but if they work out well, I will use them much more as the cartridges you buy at lbs are quite pricey.

My last thought brings me back to all the cyclists I saw out riding today. It seems a lot of riders go out in pairs or groups. I don't mind riding by myself. I can do my own thing, go my own pace, ride my own course, etc. Yet, every once in awhile its nice to ride with someone, especially people you enjoy riding with. I am jealous of those people who have others to ride with whenever they want. I am sure to a point it is my own fault for not networking somehow and joining groups to ride with. But the point that I am not pointing out here is that I miss my brothers whom I enjoy riding with. I don't necessarily enjoy riding with people I just met, even though they could be the nicest people on planet earth. Oh well. Ride on.

No comments:

Post a Comment