Thursday, July 8, 2010

Times of need.

A post by another got me thinking. Popular thought is that Father reaches out to us during our greatest time of need. Why is that such a popular idea? I suppose it provides comfort and we can talk ourselves through many situations that we struggle with if this idea is in our head. Yet is that healthy? If we look to Christ for an example, we see that Father actually withdrew his support from Christ during his greatest time of need. If we expect support from Father when we need him most, and that support or help doesn't come, what interpretation can we gather from that? How is our testimony impacted? If I trust in something to occur, and it doesn't occur, then my trust was misplaced and now gone.
Then comes the question of what is help from Father? If you are quite flexible with the answer, then I suppose the health of one's testimony may be robust. We must therefore be careful in specifying certain perspectives. I for one would say that Father allows liberal help to come under very liberal circumstances, yet does withdraw from time to time for our own benefit and for the sake of the supreme gift, that all other gifts give heed: moral agency. Yes, even the Atonement gives heed to this gift, given to all that have kept their first estate. It is quite interesting this plan of ours. As a mortal father, I would never think to do this to my children...then again, I don't rule any universes, even the one at 5756 Red Onion Way.

1 comment:

  1. That last comment was funny :) Me neither, my friend. Me neither.

    ReplyDelete