Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Follow Up

As a follow up to my last post, I wanted to empty my head further on human suffering. Much of what we learn in a religious setting applies to how we react to others and the curve balls of life. Do we stiffen our backs or crumble under the wind? Then there is the concept that, 'God doesn't give us anything we can't handle'. I am not sure I believe that either. To keep things clear, I believe Father is more compassionate and merciful than we give Him credit for. I merely think our perspective on things is limited. Keeping moral agency out of the equation, and only considering 'fate' 'luck' or one's 'fortune', I fail to see how the aforementioned concept holds water. Father, it seems, often doesn't take into consideration the object acted upon while allowing moral agency of the actor. This is not to say that Father is mean or cold. Again, it is our limited perspective on things. I have been thinking more and more about the big picture, and more and more am I leaning toward this and this and this. These things, for me, help explain the mercy and love Father has for his children. Although they present problems of their own and the doctrines aren't mentioned in public church settings, they can be found, alive and well.

They give me hope. They allow me to stiffen in the wind rather than crumble. Everyone seems to have a breaking point. It is finding something else to lean on when you think it's too much to handle that is key for me.
I realize life isn't fair. My dad reminded me of this from day one, on up to day 10,384, or thereabouts. I also realize everyone has a different blueprint to follow. Father intended it to be this way. Yet I cannot dismiss the possibility of a loving Father allowing a child to live a full mortal life in a second chance when the first one was snubbed out as a baby. Yes, this mortal experience is hell. Yes, babies who die after receiving a body are automatically celestialized. Yet I must interject and dismiss yet again another popular concept: 'Father loved these children too much to allow them a prolonged mortal life.' On the contrary, you may argue the opposite being true: Father loves me so much that he has spared my life time and again, and not just for those mortals close to me. Either way you look at it: Reincarnation or One Life to Live, mortality is more of a blessing than merely receiving a body....except for the suffering of helpless children. Sins against children would seem to condemn one to hell, yet in this very post it seems I don't believe in that condemnation in the traditional sense.

What is it about perspective? What is it about this frail mind of ours that grabs at straws? Thank the heavens that we are not in charge, allowing mortal weaknesses to play into judgments passed on sinners. I may break down at the suffering of children, but I realize that there should not be direct application of those emotions toward the evildoer. Our perspective is limited, as is our love and mercy and capacity to experience proper or maximum emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment