Thursday, February 3, 2011

Growing old is not for sissies

Shift working isn't for sissies either. I hear shift work disorder is common among space operators who work different shifts, couple that with a slight apnea problem I have and the occasional restless legs syndrome and you have problems... as I am typing this at 5 a.m. after getting home from work at 11:30, finding myself with a speeding train in my head and legs and toes that are twitching and aching to walk around.
That is another thing, the anxiety or whatever that makes your mind run faster than normal and can't relax. I have been having less and less of those occasions, but they obviously still exist as it is blocking my ability to drift away.
I ran 52 miles in January while biking 130. That isn't very much biking for how warm January was, but I have never run that much in one month. For the first two days in February I ran 5 miles each day. I thought that if I can get some stress relieved physically, I may sleep better. Overall I think it is helping, but it doesn't seem to be a cure all or a simple solution. I went to webmd.com and took a sleep survey. I don't seem to be critically deprived nor do I have an obvious problem, but it did mention things I didn't know. Apparently alcohol is a good way to get sleepier initially, as well as help relax the muscles, yet it dehydrates your body and can cause you to wake up early and not go back to sleep as alcohol interrupts the different sleep stages.

Anyway, one good thing of having a steady day job I guess. They say I may be getting one of those soon. I am looking forward to that aspect of it anyway.
I have had random dreams of dad the past year or so. Two nights ago I dreamed I was helping him re-roof his house. It was weird. I have been missing him lately as well. Sometimes I imagine going back in time at certain times because I think I would do some things differently. I am fooling myself to think I could change things enough to where he would grow old with mom and enjoy his grandkids more, but sometimes I think we all willingly fool ourselves to keep a bit of bliss in ignorance, whether it harms us or not, one of those aspects of being human.

1 comment:

  1. I think it would be nice to have him around to enjoy everything for a while longer too. But I'm happy to hear you might be getting a regular day job soon. That would be awesome! I really don't know how you do shift work! I would go crazy! You guys are amazing!

    ReplyDelete