Saturday, October 23, 2010

Truth.....or....Bliss.

The coined term "Ignorance is Bliss" seems to be the argument, whether spoken or not that is the predominant message getting across when an opponent argues for the uncovering of truth. The recent publication on wikileaks of more war logs got me thinking a little bit about truth vs. ignorance. I understand both sides of the argument to a degree. Truth side says that 'people' deserve to know the truth. The other side says 'people' are better off not knowing, or, the DoD is better off with the public not knowing, etc. etc.
What has happened in the past? Have we not had whistle blowers who have uncovered ugly truths about other wars? Vietnam quickly became a scar on our military and political history that we can't get over, partially thanks to whistle blowers. We now know from that experience the mistakes we made and what we shouldn't be doing at home and overseas. Did we learn? I suppose many Americans did. Did we learn as a nation? That may be the question.
As a member of our current nations military, I am always being trained on proper conduct. I am told my career depends on it. I am told my future promotions depend on it. I am told the Air Force crumbles if nobody adheres to the principles put forth as to how to conduct ourselves in time of war and in time of peace. Yet on day one, after getting off the plane in our deployed location, the book of conduct changes. Granted, it doesn't change to a significant degree, but the point is that rules change for Americans on non-American land, LOAC or not. Believe it or not, however many books of conduct there are, and however correct they are, they are written by someone in a position of authority over multiple personnel. Otherwise, it wouldn't get made into a book.
the truth vs. bliss argument seems to apply to religion as well. I am speaking specifically about historical aspects. What did the catholic church do to scientists during the dark ages? In the beginning, I am sure these truths were dangerous to know. Now, it is common knowledge. Even today, it isn't common knowledge that Joseph Smith practiced polygamy. Brigham Young is famous for his many wives, but he got it from Joseph and his 30-something sealings to various women. Within the church this isn't common knowledge. 'People' either wish to remain ignorant for it seems more blissful or they just don't know because other 'people' don't want to talk about it.
This brings me to the extent of my thoughts on this for now.
Why? Why do 'people' wish to sweep these sorts of things under the rug? To me it seems that it is an embarrassing aspect of history they seem to be attached to or partially responsible for. Conduct of military personnel overseas is kept quiet because our authorities know about it, knew about it, condoned it and are embarrassed by it.
Conduct of religious leaders isn't fully understood, thus kept quiet. 'People' don't know how to take it or interpret it so they pretend it isn't relevant and either try to hide it, ignore it, or deny it.
There are many examples of truth vs. bliss. These are instances that I am more familiar with. I'm not running on too much brain power today so I didn't take it very deep. Just in case I do eventually, I have something to springboard off of.

No comments:

Post a Comment