Saturday, October 23, 2010

Sociability

What makes a person inclined either way for sociability? Why does Sarah literally go crazy if she is stuck on an island alone, while I thrive? What inside me goes crazy when I don't get sufficient alone time? It seems quite interesting to me given the possible range of sociability in humans, and Sarah and I maybe aren't polar opposites, but are quite far off the middle in opposite directions. My day can be determined by how much social interaction I get, including my family (although they aren't as bad as outside that realm) and Sarah's day can be determined the same way (I won't presume to know if it is reversed for family members in her case. I would guess that she needs outside interaction, but not as drastically as I need to not). I will say I have gotten better over the years, the military being one big help in this regard. Yet, it hinders my relationships within my own home. If I have been overloaded socially at work, I come home to a wife who misses my company and I just want to be left alone. It is hard because it is to a point outside of my control how much interaction I get, especially with multiple roles at work requiring multiple interactions. As an introvert, I relate to song lyrics often, this time being no different.

Linkin Park's new cd has a song with a chorus that goes like this:

Do you feel cold and lost in desperation?
You build up hope but failure's all you've known.
Remember all the sadness and frustration
And let it go. Let it go.


I don't really feel cold or lost in desperation, but the part I like is the last: remember all the sadness and frustration and let it go. This is one of those lessons I learn over and over again and keeps coming back so I can tweak it and adjust it until I am a calm individual who doesn't yell at inanimate objects or people who can't hear me. Unfortunately, this probably won't happen for a very long time. Anyway. Thank goodness for the internet where I can interact with other people without interacting with actual people, just their digital representations. :)

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha with out having to interact with actual people you are a dork. This goes with out being sad but I am exactly like Sarah in the I thrive off of interaction with others. I count down the minutes until Alex gets home just so I can have my friend again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you two are more alike than we realize sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like being able to edit my interactions...sometimes stupid things come out of my mouth when I actually have to socialize in person ;)

    ReplyDelete