Friday, November 7, 2008

More from a wayward child

"I never thought it was right to call up a man and try him because he erred in doctrine, it looks too much like methodism and not like Latter day Saintism. Methodists have creeds which a man must believe or be kicked out of their church. I want the liberty of believing as I please, it feels so good not to be tramelled. It dont prove that a man is not a good man, because he errs in doctrine." - Joseph Smith

This quote I think I use too much these days, yet I cannot stop from bringing it up. Joseph was a great explorer of doctrines. There are historians today who think the church today would be drastically different if he survived even six more months. One doctrine that never came about was where Joseph gave the role of Prophet to someone such as Hyrum and Joseph would go on to be a King. Another was his toying with ideas from Kabbalism. One idea from that book of doctrines was that of reincarnation, or transmigration. I love this side of Joseph. He was a pioneer in establishing sound doctrines and a pioneer as an example of flexibility in belief.

I am a subscriber to an LDS philosophy email list which talks a lot about current issues. What this Prop. 8 issues boils down to in my opinion is the fact that the church believes in the sacred nature of marriage, and those who oppose prop. 8 either believe the gov't. should stay out of things of such sacred nature altogether, or we should ignore the sacred aspect of it all, for that is left to the churches anyway. The church also realized the subject would be very delicate among members and urged continued loving relationship in spite of differences. Our authorities could see the anti-mormon surge as it gave its vocal and monetary support to a political issue. The Prophet knew members would not agree with an official position on this issue.

If the Prophet could gather all members who disagree with Him, what would He say to them? What would Joseph say? Imagine the discussions today if Mitt Romney was the Republican candidate. So many members voted for Obama and would have no matter which Republican ran. All I am saying is politics doesn't determine followership one bit. Not one bit at all. To say that those who disagree with church policy is putting their eternal life at stake is worse than any belief in a false doctrine, at least, according to Joseph Smith.

1 comment:

  1. I actually really like your first quote can you text me, or write on my blog as to where I can get it. I believe it is one of Andy's favorites as well, thanks dude! Dad sends his love! In a strange way, but sends it!

    ReplyDelete